CAPA is currently seeking a Director of Student and Program Services for its Barcelona Program. Reporting to the Vice President of Global Operations based in London, this role will have overall responsibility for all areas of CAPA’s programming in Barcelona.
The three key aspects of the Barcelona programs for which the Director will be responsible are Program and Student Services, Internships and Academics. Program and student services involve the care and support of CAPA’s students living and studying with CAPA Barcelona, including health and safety, housing, educational excursions and events outside of the classroom. CAPA also researches, develops and places a large percentage of the overall student population into part-time unpaid internships/work placements for academic credit.
The role requires an effective manager with leadership skills, a hands-on and student-focused approach, and the ability to act strategically to ensure students receive the quality of support and guidance required to achieve a meaningful learning abroad experience. The CAPA team in Barcelona will be composed of the Director and a part-time coordinator.
- Oversee quality assurance for Barcelona programming: carefully monitor all feedback, develop and implement strategic quality initiatives to improve results.
- Areas of oversight include: student advising, student accommodation, external tour operators, informational materials, student activities and orientations, internships provision and academics.
- Manage staff, provide guidance and resources to help staff meet their departmental and individual goals. Provide leadership and ongoing training.
- Provide high quality student support, manage disciplinary matters and student crises.
- Act as a key member of CAPA’s crisis management team. CAPA provides 24/7 emergency support to all Barcelona students through an emergency phone on-call system and acts in accordance with explicit protocols. The Director would be part of the on call rota with other members of the Barcelona team, provide emergency phone training to new staff, set the on call rota, and provide 24/7 back up support to staff carrying the emergency phone. While the Director would need to be able to problem-solve in a variety of situations, CAPA’s crisis management committee has created explicit protocols, ensures staff receive appropriate training, and provides on-call support to the Director.
- Source and match students with appropriate internship sites, direct staff in this area, and, in collaboration with CAPA’s VP of Global Internships based in London, ensure quality and timeliness of all placements.
- In collaboration with CAPA’s VP of Academic Affairs and the Director at the IAU center, secure local faculty as needed, monitor the courses offered by IAU and assure the quality of the academic program.
- Liaise with CAPA’s homestay and apartment housing providers to secure adequate space, negotiate favorable rates. Oversee final student housing placements and roommate assignments and ensure a high level of quality throughout the term.
- Seek out, develop and maintain new housing partnerships, excursion providers, classroom facilities etc. as required.
- Attend evening and weekend social events for student arrivals and departures; manage and participate in student orientation sessions.
- Welcome representatives from existing and prospective institutional partners to the CAPA Barcelona Program and arrange site visits as required.
- Collaborate closely with the Program Management, Institutional Relations, Marketing and Finance teams in CAPA’s Boston headquarters, and participate in occasional cross-location committees/focus groups and in the formulation of new programs in Barcelona.
- Oversee program and overhead budgets to ensure financial targets are met for individual programs and for the department. Make payments for the CAPA program and provide basic monthly reports on spending to the CAPA finance department in Boston.
- Regularly review, update and implement the standard operating procedures.
Skills and Experience
- Three years’ experience minimum and a proven track record successfully managing and motivating a team
- Bachelor’s degree
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Highly developed communication and presentation skills with experience in public speaking
- Ability to build and maintain successful relationships at all levels
- Confidence to manage, and the ability to remain calm, in challenging situations
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience working with budgets and basic financial reporting
- Proven negotiating skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite
- The existing legal right to permanently work in Spain
- Experience advising and providing support to students in all non-academic areas
- Experience within higher education administration or overseas student care
- Experience and/or training in crisis management or health and safety
- Advanced degree
As this is a management level role, a high level of commitment and flexibility is required.
How to Apply:
Join our team! To apply, please email a cover letter and resume with salary expectations to: email@example.com (include Director, Barcelona in the subject line).
Apply for Director of Program and Student Services
Have a account? Sign in now and we'll pre-fill this application for you.